10 Yoga Tips to Help You Get Started - Making Yoga Work for You
One thing all our experts agree on is that yoga can be a terrific introduction to the world of fitness.
To help get you started, they offer these tips:
- Put the emphasis on your internal experience rather than your outer performance.
- Learn to experience the sensation of movement, down to the tiniest micro movement.
- Always try to find your "edge" -- the place where your body feels challenged, but not overwhelmed. When you achieve this, keep an open, accepting state of mind.
- Give yourself permission to rest when you're tired.
- Combine your yoga session with positive self-talk. Appreciate your efforts and praise your inner goodness.
- Go to class faithfully. If you work out at home, set a specific day and time for your yoga session and stick to it.
- Recognize that you are not only working on your body, but are also working to develop qualities like patience, discipline, wisdom, kindness and gratitude.
- Look for a teacher (in a class or on video) who you feel offers a balance between gentleness and firmness, and who inspires you to practice.
- Recognize that simply buying a yoga DVD or attending the class is a step toward creating a better you. Use it as momentum to keep going.
- Realize your efforts are not just inspiring you, but also inspiring others as you become more attuned to who you are, inside and out.